On the first day of the year, I wanted to share some goals and insight into our renovation plan. I’ve never been more excited to update a home than I am for our current house. I typically go through a transition period of missing our previous home and trying to settle into a new place. However, this time around I didn’t skip a beat- and I’m taking that as a good sign! For some reason, this place just feels good- it honestly feels like home and we haven’t even began the renovation process yet. That’s something special! Obviously we have lots of goals and milestones we’d like to achieve in the year ahead and a blank canvas we’re eager to get started on. Click through to read about what to expect on the blog in the coming year, and to weigh in on topics you’d like to see!
I’ll start by saying, I want to share every teeny tiny tidbit and update we make this year. Therefore, Emmett had the idea to share our home on the blog in an updated way. For every project or room reveal, we’ll be checking items off a content list to ensure we’re giving you a realistic picture into each project, sharing each and every single detail, and giving more insight than before. Consider this your handbook to viewing our new house and the content that goes along with it.
For each room renovation, I’d like to post the following:
- a timeline (with each stage in the process outlined)
- before images
- video diary prior to beginning the project (goals, expectations, function, inspiration, etc)
- material list / product links & sources
- smaller DIY posts to achieving the final project (if applicable)
- final room reveal (with styled “after” images)
- post project video diary (how the process went, things we’d change, project hiccups, what we love, etc)
- post project live Q&A
We honestly don’t have too much planned at this point. We currently have house guests, but once our holiday vacation is officially over, we’ll brainstorm and block out our calendar to create an order for which rooms we’ll tackle in what order. Things we know for sure? The first project will be the guest bathroom. That will probably take a couple months. You can check out the before images and design plan on the blog next week. The supplies are already starting to trickle in and I can’t wait to show you!
The next big room reveal will be my office. Emmett promised since I didn’t get to spend much time in my previous home office, we could renovate that space first. The guest bathroom had plumbing issues, so that’s how it ended up being first on the laundry list, but I’m perfectly content tackling the office immediately after- and trust me when I say I have BIG plans for both rooms.
Emmett and I both shared four goals for the year ahead, in regards to our home renovation. Check them out below!
- Push the limits in terms of design (get more creative, think bigger & bolder, take more risks).
- Share attainable projects that look high-end. I enjoy mixing high & low to curate a space filled with products for every budget.
- Put myself in more images. I hate having my photo taken, but believe it or not- Emmett isn’t the only one in this family who tackles renovation projects… I’m just in charge of the camera, which makes it more difficult to photograph myself. I want to show that women are capable of tackling these projects!
- Spend less time working. This is more of a personal goal, but I failed at the whole work / life balance juggling act in 2018 and I really need to prioritize this year for the sake of my health.
- Improve finish carpentry skills, specifically in regards to quality.
- Improve paint and staining skills.
- Spend more time planning projects (materials, timeline, layout, etc).
- Learn how to install hardwood flooring.
Obviously Emmett is a man of few words and didn’t go quite as broad as I did, but I can certainly get on board with all of his items! I’m excited to watch him grow with another house. His improving skillset always amazes me.
I’d also love to hear what YOU would like to see in the coming year. Are there any home or renovation projects you’d like us to cover? Anything I could do to improve the way we share content? I’m all ears! Drop me a comment below, if you have time. Thanks friends! I’m really looking forward to the year ahead. I’m full of optimism and I know this is going to be a really good one.