Happy Friday! Earlier this week I took the time to give our house a good clean and after dusting the fireplace- I felt like getting creative, so I decided to restyle the mantel. I figured I’d turn my little styling session into a blog post of sorts and share some tips that may or may not be common knowledge. Just after built-ins and shelving, mantels are my favorite thing to style. They’re easy and fun… it always amazes me how a simple styling swap can really influence the overall look of the room. I tossed some new pillows onto our living room sofa, switched up the mantel styling, and suddenly it feels like a brand new, fresh space again. Click through for my mantel styling tips, along with 5 different looks! Feel free to pin them or save them for later, if you’d like.
Before we jump into the different looks I styled, here are a handful of tips to keep in mind while you’re styling…
- Create a focal point with one large piece. In my living room, it’s a mirror… but this could also be art, a juju hat, a wall hanging, a wall basket, etc.
- Consider lighting. I love symmetry, so I enjoy flanking the focal point with lighting of some sort… sconces, wall candelabras, etc.
- Style with odd numbers in mind. Odd numbers & groupings are visually pleasing in design… consider groupings of three, five- or a single item.
- Use items of varying heights. Look at your mantel like a landscape- mix object of varying heights while considering color and texture.
- Keep the decor style fairly consistent. With a small surface like a mantel, it’s tricky to include too many aesthetics. Stick to one style- traditional, modern, coastal, etc.
- Layer until it’s styled to your liking. Sometimes it takes adding and removing things until you find balance and your preferred look. Just keep layering, shifting, and experimenting!
Ready to see my styling session? It’s always fun to play around and shake things up. This is how I left it at the end of the day…
LAYERED MANTEL STYLING
SIMPLE MANTEL STYLING WITH BOOKS
Books are the easiest way to style a mantel… and they’re great if you’re short on space. Simple piles can be pretty effective in creating visual interest.
SCULPTURAL MANTEL STYLING
This was my second favorite… because sometimes more is more, in my mind. I love sculptural objects and the mantel is a great place to display unique finds and treasures from traveling.
MINIMAL MANTEL STYLING
Next, I decided to pare it back a bit and keep the profile a little lower. A centered sphere, books, a magnifying glass, and a favorite candle for summer is sometimes all it takes.
MODERN MANTEL STYLING
Last, I wanted to create an option that felt more modern… which typically isn’t my preferred style here at home. It honestly had me craving fall with those hues! It also proves that asymmetry is equally as beautiful.
Brainstorming List of Objects to Try…
- Magnifying Glass
- Pottery, Vases, & Vessels
- Sculptural Objects
- Florals & Greenery
- Wood Objects
- Sconces or Wall Candelabras
- Brass Objects
- Travel Finds
Which look do you like best? If you’re looking for a fun and creative way to mix things up in your own home (and you have a fireplace), try restyling the mantel. Here’s to a good weekend ahead! We’re taking the camper out again… just close to home. We’ll also be chipping away at the entryway renovation. What are your weekend plans?