On the last day of the year, I always find myself looking ahead. Looking forward to a fresh start… a blank chapter to write, an empty canvas on which to create, things I’d like to try, and a master to-do list of all the things I’d like to accomplish in the coming year. I’m honestly not big on New Year’s Resolutions (mostly because I think they’re negative and overwhelming), but I definitely believe in setting goals and starting the year on the right foot with positive affirmations and an optimistic mindset. Click through to see what Emmett and I have planned for the year ahead, what you can expect to see in our home, on the blog, and a few of our personal goals.
- More Video & IG Behind-the-Scenes // I’m not going to lie, I felt really frustrated and resistant to “keep up” with social media in 2019. It seemed like no matter how hard I worked, nobody was seeing my posts, commenting, or messaging. I felt discouraged and honestly wondered why go to the effort, but I’ve had a change of heart. My new mindset is this… the people who want to follow along, will. The people who aren’t interested, won’t. It’s as simple as that and I’m not going to let algorithms get me down this year! I stand behind my work and will be proud to share it. For those of you who like connecting via video or seeing BTS in real time on IG stories, I promise to do better and be more active with that- even if social media feels frustrating or like a lost cause at times.
- More DIY Projects // You all sent SO many praises for my DIY projects and their originality in the annual reader survey. I really appreciated that feedback and it has inspired me to tackle more DIY projects in the coming year. Furniture makeovers, home decor, sewing projects, art…. I have lots of fun things to dream up and I actually love sharing those types of projects. This should be fun!
- A Better Mix of Quick Makeovers and Full Blown Renovations // This year I want to mix more high/low and easy/complex makeovers or renos. The quick projects are so fun and challenging for me, while the big renovations are a longterm solution that we really save up for and work hard on. I think you guys will enjoy seeing both types- or at least having multiple options for different budgets and scenarios!
I heard you guys loud and clear… based on the reader survey, you want to see more home, interior, renovating, and makeover posts. Given larger projects take so much time, I think it would be fun to tackle more budget-friendly updates throughout the year (like the laundry room), alongside 2-3 large room renovations. It’s the best of both worlds and I’m excited to try to push the limits with quick projects that show instant change and gratification. I think this is where the additional DIY projects can come into play.
- Formal Living Room // We swear we’re going to finish and SHARE the formal living room next week. It’s happening. Haha! It took forever, was one of those projects that just took wayyyy more time, effort, and money than we had planned, but sometimes that’s how it goes. We’re working in real time over here. I’m going to style and shoot it once our holiday house guests leave this weekend and begin the year the best way I know how- with an incredible room reveal we’re extremely proud of!
- Powder Bath Mini Makeover // After the response to my mini laundry room makeover, I promised you guys I’d update the attached powder bath in a similar manner. All of the materials are here and ready for me to get started. Stay tuned for that!
- Basement Bathroom // We already spilled the details about the basement bath, but that will be our first BIG project of 2020, and I couldn’t be more excited!
These are the home projects you can expect to see in the coming months and year. We really haven’t planned out much more than that because we’re trying to achieve better balance this year- plus, we’re open to seeing what projects present themself… from a budget or necessity perspective. We had no idea we’d be able to renovate our kitchen in 2019, but thanks to Lowe’s offering us a wonderful partnership, we were able to tackle that much sooner than we expected. I like having loose plans, but nothing too serious in case there is a room that needs immediate attention (like the basement bath because of plumbing issues) or a brand reaching out to work together that we love and just can’t turn down. I’m excited to see how this year will play out! Who knows what we’ll tackle.
- Design // I shared this same goal last year and I’m pretty sure it will forever remain on my list because that’s how creative people think… push the limits in terms of design (get more creative, think bigger & bolder, take more risks). Just keep thinking outside-the-box, really! I want people to see my work and think it’s unique or know that it is mine, just by looking at it.
- Share More // This mostly pertains to Instagram and BTS stories / videos. I let myself get overwhelmed and frustrated with social media, and this year I’m going to throw the rules out the window and just share as I feel. I don’t care about the algorithm, I’m just going to document and talk about things that inspire me as they happen… more impromptu posts. I think that’s a healthier mindset that sounds like way more fun!
- Balance // I mean it this year! I failed at work / life balance in 2019 and I promised myself (and Emmett) I could do better. I’m training myself to say “no” more often, take on fewer projects… the ones I’m truly excited about, while not overcommitting myself to things I’m not as into. Anyone else out there have a similar goal? Being stretched too thin is stressful and anxiety inducing, so I’m taking a different path this year.
- Millwork // Improve my crown moulding installation skills.
- Project Planning // Better execute project planning and sticking to a construction timeline.
- Skills // Learn how to install a custom shower pan.
As you can see, Emmett’s goals are always short and sweet. I have no doubt he’ll accomplish all of those things. There you have it! Our 2020 ambitions, goals, and renovation docket. I have a feeling it’s going to be an amazing year and I’m already feeling the positivity, good energy, and am excited for a blank slate ahead. Let’s do this 2020! Everyone have fun celebrating tonight. We’re headed to our neighbor’s house for a party (remember Emily?).