I have a new series for you and it’s a fun one! I thought a ‘Save or Splurge’ series could be really helpful in the basic budgeting portion of the design process. These posts will be pretty short, to the point, and more of an opinion or my preference. Basically, I’ll make a list of items found in a room… the first post of the series obviously covers the living room, and then I’ll notate which items I prefer to save money on, and which ones I feel comfortable splurging on. Each post will also include one save / splurge “look alike” item. Click through to see!
S A V E O R S P L U R G E
- sofa // SPLURGE . . . A comfortable, quality sofa is worth splurging on… I made the mistake of saving in our previous living room, and let’s just say- I’ll never make that mistake on a sofa again.
- coffee table // SPLURGE . . . Finding the appropriate size coffee table for your space is important, as well as considering durability and material… I think this is a great place to make a statement.
- side tables // SAVE . . . I’d rather spend more on a larger, beautiful coffee table and save on accent or side tables. Just because you spend less, doesn’t mean they have to look cheap- keep them simple and sophisticated.
- area rug // SPLURGE . . . Find a rug that fits the size of the room and is made of natural materials- wool, cotton, jute, sisal, etc. Bonus points if you score a vintage beauty… large, beautiful, quality area rugs aren’t cheap and that’s one item that I will definitely splurge on.
- occasional chair(s) // SAVE . . . I’ll say this… if it’s in the budget to splurge on occasional chairs, do it. If not, I’d rather spend more money on a sofa instead. Much like accent tables, keep the shape classic, sophisticated, and the pattern & color timeless.
- table lamp // SAVE . . . If I have a tight lighting budget, I’d rather spend on permanent fixtures like sconces and ceiling lights… or even a larger floor lamp. You can definitely save on a smaller table lamp, just make sure it’s a nice scale- there are a bunch of puny, tiny lamps out there that look cheap, so avoid those.
- floor lamp // SPLURGE . . . See my above comment on table lamps… floor lamp > table lamp.
- overhead lighting (flush mount, semi flush mount, or chandelier) // SPLURGE . . . Again, I will definitely splurge on permanent fixtures. They can make or break a space, don’t neglect the lighting budget.
- window treatments // SPLURGE . . . I’m all about custom window treatments because every window is so different. Tailoring or customizing window treatments can make an entire space look higher end.
- entertainment unit // SAVE . . . I’d save on the entertainment unit or get creative with the TV placement or mounting. I prefer a disguised television, so I’d focus more on adding artwork around the TV or flanking it with beautiful sconces.
- television // SPLURGE . . . Yep, I want Samsung’s “the frame”, need I say more? I’m currently trying to convince Emmett to let me splurge on that.
- coffee table tray // SAVE . . . Spend more money on the coffee table and try to save on the accessories. I like checking HomeGoods or big box stores for coffee table trays, books, etc.
- shelf styling accessories // SAVE . . . I like to collect objects from travels over time, which usually saves me money in the long run.
- console table // SAVE . . . For some reason, I’d rather splurge on the main furniture- sofa, coffee table, etc. A console table can easily get lost behind the sofa or if you install large scale artwork above it, that will become the focal point. I think it’s less important to spend a bunch of money here.
- pillows and throws // BOTH . . . I truly like to mix both high and low here to add a layered look and disguise less expensive textiles.
- plants // SAVE . . . I’m all about adding greenery to a space, but I’ve splurged on expensive handmade planters and seen them replicated for SO much cheaper. That was definitely a regret. Definitely add plants, but save on the planters… a basket is another easy solution for plant storage. IKEA has great plants, or I’ll even find them at estate sales or ask neighbors for starts.
L O O K A L I K E S T E A L
I fell in love with this simple, brass floor lamp from Anthropologie, but was able to source it from Macy’s for much less. Both options are sleek, classic, and add a touch of glam. This slim shape never goes out of style.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this new series! Is there anything I should add to the post? Would you prefer I go into greater depth about why I save or splurge on some items and not others? Happy Monday, friends!