How Paint Color Percentages Work and When To Use Them

This blog post contains everything you need to know about using and ordering paint color percentages, as well as an easy chart showing how it works!

What Adjusting the Percentage Does To A Paint Color

Setup Your Workspace


If you’d like to adjust the lightness or darkness of a paint color, this is where using percentages comes in handy!


Examples of How Paint Color Percentage Works

A paint at 75% means only 75% of the paint formula will go into the paint can. The remaining 25% is the base color.

When To Use a Percentage

Setup Your Workspace


In the case of my entryway, I was testing percentages for monochromatic color blocked stripes.

How to Order a Paint Color Percentage

Setup Your Workspace


Since percentages don’t have individual swatches, it’s very important to get a sample pot. I highly recommend testing paint before you fully commit!

I hope this post answered all of your questions about how paint percentages work.